Last night, the Williams sisters took the tennis court by storm as the went head-to-head to battle it out for the U.S. Open Quarterfinals. The fierce match left little sister, Serena as the conqueror over big sister, Venus. As if she weren’t already before, Serena Williams is definitely the woman of the hour.
Inspiring Black women everywhere with her tale of a true American Dream to her undeniable success on the court, here are five quotes from Serena that will surely keep you motivated:
- “Since I don't look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.”
- “Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.”
- “I always say that when I'm playing well, no one can beat me. I'm not just saying that to sound full of myself or anything, but it's true.”
- “I decided I can't pay a person to rewind time, so I may as well get over it.”
- “I can't become satisfied, because if I get satisfied, I'll be like, Oh, I've won Wimbledon, I've won the U.S. Open. Now can I relax. But now people are really going to be fighting to beat me.”